“The Sloan Consortium is the leading professional online learning society devoted to advancing quality e-Education learning into the mainstream of education through its community.” We believe that Sloan-C does lead the industry in this area, and OBU is fortunate to be a member of this valuable community! We pay an annual fee for membership so faculty can enjoy a long list of benefits. Some of the most relevant benefits to you as a faculty member are:
- Free Webinars
- Workshops [funded by the Office of Instructional Technology]
- Online Teaching Certification Program
- Quality Scorecard for online courses and programs
Why should I register?
You can not take advantage of all the great Sloan-C professional development opportunities if you don’t have an account that is affiliated with our institutional account.
HOW TO REGISTER:
Go to the institutional members page and read the instructions on how to create an account that is affiliated with our institution. If you already have a Sloan-C account, you can affiliate it with our institutional account.
Notes about Sloan-C Training:
Sloan-C’s training is not about learning how to use a particular piece of instructional technology; it is platform agnostic. In other words, these webinars and workshops will not teach you how to use Moodle or some other learning management system, but they will teach you the general principles and best practices of online teaching and learning. They will help you integrate your particular pedagogical preferences into your online and hybrid courses.
There are two types of training available from Sloan-C, 1) Workshops, 2) Webinars. Webinars are free and you can register for them anytime. If you would like to register for a workshop, email the OIT at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the “college pass coupon code”, then follow the instructions below. NOTE: You can participate in individual workshops at no cost to you (funded by OIT). If you want to participate in a full certification program, please see your dean.
- First make sure you have registered for a Sloan-C account by following the “HOW TO REGISTER” instructions above.
- Go to the Sloan-C Workshop Schedule above for a list of workshops you can register for
- Click on the Workshop Registration link (sometimes the name and location of these links will change on the Sloan-C site as they redesign or add features — look for something that mentions “Registration”)
- Click on the title of the workshop you would like to attend
- Click to add the workshop to your shopping cart. When you “check out” of your shopping cart, you will eventually reach the billing page where you will find a place to add the college pass coupon code. Enter the coupon number that you were sent via email and click “apply” to zero out the balance.